Good carbs

This biggest misconception that people have when it comes to losing fat is “I have to cut out carbs to lose fat.” This is not true at all when it comes to wanting to slim down. Though it helps to reduce the amount of carbohydrates when you want to lose some fat, cutting out carbs completely can have a detrimental effect on the body. Carbohydrates is the main source of fuel for body. If you cut out carbs completely, that will often lead you to becoming lethargic and in times the body will actually slow it’s metabolism. In this article I’m going to quickly tell you the difference between good carbs and bad carbs and what the best carbs to eat when it comes to wanting to shed those excess pounds.

Now when it comes to carbohydrates, it does not matter if it is simple carbs like white bread, or complex carbs ( brown rice), the end result of consuming any carbohydrate is that it gets broken down into glucose, a simple sugar that can be used by the body for energy. The only difference between complex carbs and simple carbs is what they are packaged in. Some carbs are going to be found in processed and refined sources such as white rice, white bread, some fruits, cakes and ‘junk food’, and other carbs are going to be found in fibrous vitamin packed veggies, unrefined foods such as oatmeal and brown rice. It is not the carbohydrate itself that leads to weight gain.  It’s all the extra stuff that comes with it, such as sugars and fats that really amount to excess calories that make you fat. This is why you should stick to essentially ‘clean’ carbohydrates that are unprocessed if you are really looking to improve the look of your body.

With that being said, if you are not looking to lean down for a competition or anything and just want to improve the overall look and feel of your body you should be aiming to get at least 80% of your daily carbohydrate intake from nutrient rich sources such as, fibrous vegetables, yams, brown rice, oats and quinoa and the other 20% on foods that you do enjoy.  I’ve been on a low carb (notice how I said low and not NO) diet before and it is a challenge, mentally and physically.
Like I said, if you just want to slim down, and lose a few pounds, just watch the calories that you consume in a day and limit yourself from the processed carbohydrates.  Hope this short post gave you some good information. If you like it, share it with your friends.

Join 3000+ readers and get science-based muscle building and fat loss tips, diet tips, motivational strategies and more sent straight to your inbox every week!
We hate spam. Your email address will not be sold or shared with anyone else.
Be Sociable, Share!


John considers himself as a fitness enthusiast who loves to do anything to keep the body in peak physical performance (much like a highly tuned machine). He mainly focuses on sports nutrition and supplement research, but is also highly knowledgeable in relation to muscle growth and fat loss. He's helped numerous people over the years achieve the body that they've always wanted and hopes his information will guide you to the goals you want.

More Posts