Top Anti Inflammatory Foods For a Healthy Heart
As a health fanatic, I like to keep my body running at an optimal level by making sure I get enough exercise weekly, keeping track of my daily macronutrients/micronutrients, drinking enough water, getting enough sleep, you know, all of that good stuff. Recently I’ve been studying more on the topic of cardiovascular health, and how to build habits to keep my heart going strong and healthy as I age. It seems so basic, but the heart as you know, is an extremely important muscle in your body that keeps you alive, and most people often take for granted how important and vital it is by consuming unhealthy foods, and neglecting proper exercise.
Over the years, research has shown that high cholesterol is not the only factor that causes heart attacks, as it has been shown that people who live a mobile and active lifestyle are susceptible to heart attacks as well. Research has revealed that inflammation of the arteries and blood vessels is an important variable that has an effect on heart health. It causes your arteries and blood vessels to become less flexible, and over time, your heart has to work harder to get blood through them. This in turn is what causes high blood pressure, which can lead to heart attacks. The good news is that there are foods that aid in the reversal and prevention of inflammation. It seems so amazing that putting the right foods in your mouth could actually add years onto your life, not to mention save it. Here are the top anti inflammatory foods that you should add to your daily diet, if you want to maintain tip-top cardiovascular health.
1) Onions – Onions contain quercetin. It’s a type of antioxidant that prevents harmful enzymes from triggering inflammation
2) Walnuts – These nuts are also another source of omega-3s,
3) Blueberries – I can’t say enough about blueberries. They are packed full of antioxidants that boosts immunity and protects the body from free radical damage
4) Sweet Potatoes – Sweet potatoes are rich in carotenoids, it’s an antioxidant that is known for boosting immunity and preventing inflammation
5) Spinach – Spinach is also rich in caraotenoids, not to mention it is full of vitamin E
6) Garlic – Like onions, garlic is rich in sulfur compounds that boosts the activity of immune cells
7) Pineapple – The enzyme called bromelain that is found in pineapples is shown to decrease inflammation and boosts immunity
8) Ginger -Fresh ginger root acts as an anti-inflammatory. It dampens the action of inflammation promoting enzymes in the body
9) Turmeric – The key component in curry, turmeric contains curcumin, a compound that has anti-inflammatory effects
10) Pomegranate – They can be a pain to eat, but contains powerful antioxidants may have anti-clogging properties that can slow the progression of arterial plaques
How many of these foods is in your daily diet? I’ve always been one to preach that your body is a precious ‘vehicle’ that you should only ‘fuel’ with the highest quality foods as they help with becoming the strongest and healthiest version of yourself. It’s fairly easy to squeeze these foods into your daily diet, and consuming them on a regular basis not only is great for your heart, but has a whole bunch of other healthy benefits. See you in the next article.